Monday 16 July 2007

A very special day


I have some good news to share. On Saturday evening , we added a new member to the family, a grea nephew. Kody was born to Michelle and Malachi weighing in at 6 lb. 8 oz. His big sister Maya is delighted. We are happy and proud to welcome him. You may remember the teddy bear and balloon baby sampler from my earlier posts. Now, we have all the necessary information to add to it.
I thought I would share with you my most special piece of cross stitch.
When my DH and I decided to full time RV for a couple of years our granddaughter Drew was worried what she was going to do without us. I did the Lavender and Lace Fairy Grandmother for her and her mother hung it over her bed. I told her anytime she needed me the fairy Grandmother would be there in my stead.
This piece also has a framing nightmare. When I took it to be framed in some small town, they were not conversant with needlework - unbeknownst to me. When I went to pick up the piece they had it framed up into the right hand corner and had cut off the tip of her bottom wing. They did not write down my instructions and made their own judgement as to how to frame it.
When I let them know that was not how I wanted it framed they said no problem. They would reframe it. A short time later I got a phone call saying they had ripped the fabric trying to remove it. I was devastated and stood in the middle of the store crying. Our only solution was to add the mauve mat and change the frame. When you look at her, you don't see that she is not framed properly and my granddaughter just loves her Fairy Grandmother. So, she is my favorite piece and my most heartbreaking as well.

7 comments:

Sue said...

Oh, what a terrible thing to have happen. If you had not pointed out the error though I never would have noticed. It's a beautiful piece ;)

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

A touching story...in both ways good and bad...it's a beautiful piece no matter what :)

Wendy said...

I've always loved this one and bought the pattern ages ago. I can see why your granddaughter loves it so much!

Beatrice said...

Congratulations on the arrival of the new baby...good to hear all went well.
Your Fairy Grandmother is beautiful. What a nightmare with the framing. We would never know the finish is lovely.

Michelle said...

Your Fairy Grandmother is gorgeous. I would be heartborken too at the framing issues. She looks like she was meant to matted and framed just that way though. Congrats on the new family addition!

Lynn said...

I would never have known that you had such a terrible time with Fairy Grandmother. She is really beautiful and what matters is that your granddaughter thinks so too. Congrats on your new grand nephew!

Dani - tkdchick said...

What a pefrect stand in for while you were gone! I bet Drew will keep it over her bed for a very long time!